How To Hire A Roofer
Repairing or replacing a commercial roof is most likely one of the larger projects you’ll oversee for your business. Finding a commercial roofer helps protect your first line of defense against inclement weather, extreme heat, and the frigid cold. If you find that you need to hire a roofer after receiving a commercial roof inspection in Joliet or Schaumburg, you may feel a bit overwhelmed by all the possibilities. Learn how to find the best roofing company near you in this guide from NIR!
When Do I Need To Find A Roofer?
There are many benefits that come with regularly inspecting your roof and making small repairs as they come up. Not only will it improve the longevity of your roof, but it will also protect your property from damage. However, it may be time to find a commercial roofer if you notice any of the following:
- Pooling water/water pool spots that have led to mold or decay.
- Significant damage to roofing materials.
- Cracks, holes, or tears anywhere on the roof.
- Aged and disintegrated roofing materials.
When the roofs of businesses are cared for properly, they can last anywhere from 10 – 50 years. However, factors like maintenance, the type of roofing material you use, and your region’s weather conditions will also play a role in how long your roof will last. Having your roof inspected regularly will help you find and take care of small issues before they become expensive problems that affect the structure of your business.
How To Find a Commercial Roofer
Finding a reliable commercial roofer may seem like a cumbersome task if you’ve never had your roof replaced before. However, there are steps you can take to make sure you’re getting a reputable roofer at a good price:
- Check their credentials: Check the licensing and insurance requirements of each roofer before you decide on one. Reputable roofing companies will have the right licensing and insurance for your state and will be able to prove it.
- Get a few quotes: Find two or three companies that you like and get a quote from each of them. Be wary of prices that are very low or very high. Commercial roofing replacement should cost about $5 per square foot.
- Review the warranty coverage: Take the time to understand the warranty that comes with your new roof. The materials and workmanship should be guaranteed for at least 5 years, and the roofing material itself should come with a 20- to 40-year warranty.
- Review contracts carefully: Never sign a contract before reading through it. Take the time to go over the terms of your agreement and ask the company to explain the parts you’re having trouble understanding. Reputable companies will be happy to take the time and answer your questions.
- Ask questions: Before you agree and sign the papers, ask your contractor if you need to acquire a construction permit (most roofing companies will do it for you) and if their employees are covered by workers’ compensation. You don’t want to be held liable for any injuries that may occur or get a fine from your township if there isn’t a permit.
Pro Tip: Before you sign, agree upon a tentative completion date with your contractor. This will help ensure the work is done within a reasonable time and allow you to plan around the construction. Make sure to avoid having your roof replaced in rainy or snowy seasons too, as this will delay construction due to safety concerns.
What’s the Difference Between Residential & Commercial Roofing?
Most Rockford residents that need a roof replacement will need residential roofing, while Chicago business owners and property managers will require commercial flat roofing. While both types of roofing have similarities, they are unique in their design, installation, and life expectancy. Read below to see how they differ:
Commercial Roof: Most commercial roofs have either a low slope or are completely flat. These types of roofs require more inspections since water is more likely to pool on them. Commercial roofs are also much larger due to the overall size of the building, meaning the weight of roof-top equipment and snow in the winter will have to be taken into consideration.
Residential Roof: Residential roofs are typically slanted at a higher degree than commercial roofs, meaning snow and rain will roll off of them easily. Rooftop equipment like solar panels will be harder to install, but the weight won’t be as much of an issue.
Commercial Roof: Commercial roofs usually have a flat membrane or metal roof that can cover large areas and can be easily removed for maintenance and repairs.
Residential Roof: Residential roofs are typically made up of tiles, shingles, or slates. Because of their slanted design and smaller area, residential roofs have more material options than commercial roofs.
Commercial Roof: Commercial roof installation requires a team that is certified in commercial roofing. This is because commercial roofs must also accommodate pipes, airflow systems, escape routes, etc. Installation can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks depending on the condition and area that needs to be covered.
Residential Roof: Residential roofers must have the proper certifications and equipment to install a residential roof. Permits, insurance coverage, and materials should all be provided by the roofer per your contract. Installation typically takes a couple of days depending on the roofing area.
While NIR is a commercial roofing provider, knowing the style of roofing you’re dealing with helps save you time in the long run when you’re looking for quality roof repair.
Why Choose NIR?
You have a lot of options when you search for the best commercial roofing companies near you in Chicago or the Chicagoland area, but only NIR Roof Care has the expertise and experience to get your commercial flat roofing job done correctly. NIR Roof Care trains and employs Certified Roof Care Specialists to inspect, install, and maintain commercial roofing. Read what you can expect from a Certified Roof Care Specialist below:
- A professional roofer who has graduated from our NIR University and is experienced in commercial roof care, installation, and maintenance.
- Someone who is familiar with your commercial roof design and materials.
- An experienced roofer – not a salesman – who will discuss with you the best type of roofing material your building needs.
- Someone who performs frequent and detailed inspections – complete with photos – and keeps you up to date on your roof’s condition.
- Regular routine and minor maintenance to ensure your roof stays in its best condition.
- A transparent process – start to finish – of your roofing materials, costs, and condition.
Due to our dedicated care to Chicago and Chicagoland commercial businesses, we’ve earned an A+ rating from the BBB, making us one of the best roofing companies near you! Learn more about our roof care plans and our 40 years of experience when you purchase a NIR Roof Care plan.
Hire a Commercial Roofer From NIR Roof Care!
Now that you know how to find a commercial roofer, get a free quote or schedule an inspection of your commercial property today! Want to get commercial flat roofing care at the touch of a button? Download the NIR Mobile® app from the Google Play store or the App Store for expert roof care at your fingertips after you find the NIR roof care plan that’ll suit your needs.