When it comes to commercial roofing, performing preventative maintenance and small repairs are preferred to an entire roof replacement. Not only is it more cost-effective, but commercial roof preventative maintenance also leads to the betterment of your business, making it more profitable. With the current tax law business owners can write off roof maintenance from their taxes, saving more with each fiscal year. Learn more about the benefits of preventative roof maintenance and the different types of roof repair with NIR Roof Care, or contact our team to learn more about our roof care plans.
Commercial Roof Repairs: Tax Deductible
Many Joliet business owners may wonder “Can I deduct roof repairs on my taxes?” The answer is yes, commercial roof repairs are tax deductible! Chicago business owners who perform roof maintenance or a qualifying roof recondition can write the cost off their taxes. A new roof does not qualify owners for a tax credit, but a maintenance plan or recondition is considered a maintenance expense on your taxes and can be deducted the same year that the service was completed. Read below to see the other benefits of commercial roof preventative maintenance:
Roofing Company Maintenance Plan Benefits:
- Roofing repairs, maintenance, and restoration will cost thousands of dollars less than roof replacement.
- Roof maintenance programs are tax deductible with the current tax law.
- A roof maintenance program can save up to 50% over the life of a 30-year roof compared to replacing it every 15-20 years.
Most roofs are replaced prematurely. Avoid a costly replacement and save more on your taxes with a roof maintenance plan. Get a roofing quote on your roof repairs and maintenance when you contact the NIR Roof Care team!
Types of Roof Repair
The tax law dictates that roof improvement is not deductible, but roof repair is. There’s a fine line between what’s considered a repair and what’s considered an improvement, so the team at NIR Roof Care made this list to give Crystal Lake business owners every advantage when they take care of their roofs and when they file their taxes for the fiscal year:
- Patch, mend, or fix roofing that is broken, instead of replacing it.
- If your roof is leaking or has sustained damage, repair or replace the damaged areas instead of replacing the entire roof.
- Upgrades are considered improvements. Therefore, when you fix a damaged area of your roof use the same quality materials and parts the roof was built with originally.
- Document each repair to show a history of what was broken and how it was fixed. Make sure to get an invoice for every repair and take before and after photos of extensive repairs.
- Keep up with preventative roof maintenance. Preventive maintenance costs are currently deductible operating expenses under the tax law.
There are six main types of roof repair and maintenance that will keep your Joliet roof in good condition. The extent and time it takes to perform these repairs will depend on the severity of the damage and what has been affected:
- Roofing Materials: Damaged tiles, slates, or other roofing materials are relatively easy to fix, so long as the materials are readily available and the damage is minimal.
- Flashing: Flashing is placed around areas where your roof meets a vertical object. Like roofing materials, flashing can be repaired easily, but it must be done properly to ensure its been sealed and that leaks won’t occur.
- Vent Booting: Over time the booting seal will decay and crack, which could lead to roof leaks and other issues. Having your vent booting checked periodically will prevent unnecessary damage to your roof and the interior of your business.
- Water Spots: Commercial roofs are susceptible to water pools from rain and snow. Having these problem areas addressed sooner rather than later will prevent costly repairs.
- Gutters/Downspouts: Functioning gutters and downspouts are especially important for commercial rooftops as they direct water off your roof and away from your foundation. Ensuring that gutters and downspouts are clear of debris and are properly secured to your building will keep your roof in excellent condition.
- Leaks: Having leaks repaired is crucial to commercial roof health. Leaks can be easily repaired when they’re still small, so having a roof maintenance plan is not only cost-effective, but essential to your business.
Why Eco-Friendly Roofing May Not Be Cost Effective
Schuamburg-area business owners should always be on the lookout for ways to save money and boost profits for their business. For the last 15 or so years, many businesses have adopted white roofs to lower utility costs and save energy for this very purpose. However, these roofs may not be as cost-effective as originally intended. While they were designed with good intention, these roofs are not a “one size fits all” solution. Read below to see why opting for a white roof may not be beneficial for Chicago-area businesses:
- White roofs work great in climates that have a lot of sun and high temperatures, but they don’t work as well in colder climates where reflecting sunlight away from a roof may drive up heating costs in the winter.
- White roofs are susceptible to condensation because they stay cooler for longer after the temperature has dropped. The longer they remain at the dew-point, the more water collects, which can lead to water spots and leaks on commercial roofs.
There are many good reasons to purchase a white roof in warmer climates, but in the Crystal Lake area, businesses may find that they’ll save more money on maintenance and energy with a standard commercial roof.
Get a Roof Care Plan For Your Business!
If you’re ready to get commercial roof preventative maintenance, contact the team at NIR Roof Care to receive a quote and a comprehensive plan for your business! Our roofing experts will examine your roof and design a personalized plan that will help you save more on repair costs and ensure the health of your business. Schedule a time for an inspection today!