NEW ROOF, NEW WARRANTY – DO I NEED A ROOF CARE PLAN?

Why Are Warranties Important?

While the public’s view on warranties typically varies, a new roof is a big investment, generally involving thousands of your hard-earned dollars and lasting 15, 20, 25 years, or more. As with any big investment, it makes sense to protect it with as many layers as you can and a roof warranty is a great start. In addition, knowing in advance what your warranty requires and covers could save you thousands in the event that problems arise with your roof.

What Are The Chances Of Having A Problem With My New Roof?

While it is unlikely to expect problems with a brand new roof, there is still decay that begins to occur as soon as the materials are assembled to create your new roof system. Of course, your going to expect the materials and installation techniques to be at a level that water will not be immediately penetrating your building. However, if you have other trades servicing the roof or live in a climate such as we do here in the Midwest with extreme thermal cycling, things can go from watertight to leaky in a short span.

What About Problems With Installation?

Studies indicate that more than two-thirds of the problems that people experience with their new roofs are due to the installer’s workmanship — not the roofing materials. This is an important distinction to keep in mind when deciding who is going to install your roof. People would like to believe that as long as they have a warranty, they will be covered. But, who wants the headache of having to deal with immediate problems with their brand new roof? Do your homework and hire the right installer from the get-go.

What Should I Look For In A Roofing Warranty?

When looking at your roof warranty, the first thing is to determine the requirements it has in order to keep it in good standing along with what it will protect you against. Typically, a “full system warranty” is still “limited” in its coverage and only going to protect against workmanship during the initial installation and material defects. While it is likely that these issues will surface in the first 6-12 months, or the first rain storm, it is not a bad thing to have coverage on. However, everyone issuing these warranties knows that 90% of the problems are going to surface from issues NOT covered in the warranty. With that known, not only will a roof warranty stipulate to the need to have a roof care plan in place in order to protect that 10% that will be covered, it is also key to addressing the other 90% of issues that will arise and minimizing risk out of the gates.

What It Comes Down To.

It comes down to protection and the fact is that a roof warranty is a good start to protecting your roofing investment. Read the fine print and understand what kind of warranty you are investing in (yes, roof warranties do cost you money). Also know what they require in order to stay in effect. Almost all roof warranties state that maintenance needs to be performed regularly and records kept of these visits. This is because they know with the exposure these roofs have, there is a lot of risk if problems go unattended. And, don’t think that your warranty can’t be voided by the issuer if these requirements are not met, it happens every day. It all comes down to a quality installer putting in the right system coupled with a good warranty and an even better roof care plan. This combination of things will ensure a long-standing roof with the least amount of problems and the biggest return on investment.

Did you just install your roof?

Have our professional Certified Roof Care Specialists come and give you a complementary NIR Roof Care Plan proposal to ensure your Roof will last to ensure your maximum return and ensure that your roof was installed to your expectations.  Click get a quote today!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *