How to Take Care of Your Skylights
If you have skylights, it’s important to prevent water leaks by practicing proper skylight care. Take a moment to educate yourself about why skylights leak, as well as the different types of preventive maintenance you can perform to keep skylight problems from arising down the line. If you find your skylights are having issues, or you’d simply like to get them checked out, contact NIR Roof Care, Inc for commercial roof service and skylight repair around Chicagoland, Joliet, Madison, Milwaukee, and Beloit!
The Problem: Water Leaks
When it gets cold, your skylight will shrink. When summer comes around, it will expand. Over time, this can cause the acrylic or glass lenses in your skylights to crack, leading to water leaks. Furthermore, your skylight sealant will deteriorate overtime, which can also lead to leaks. So, how can you take care of your skylights? Let’s take a look at a few general tips for skylight care, including skylight frame care!
The Solution: Skylight Care
If you’re wondering about how to take care of your skylights, there’s quite a lot to consider to the seemingly simple task of maintaining your skylights—from skylight frame care to unique considerations you’ll have to take for plastic lenses. Read on to learn about all of the main things to cross off your checklist when cleaning and maintaining your skylights:
- Regularly clean your skylights, so that everyday muck and grime doesn’t slowly corrode their components.
- If you’d like to maintain the shine of an acrylic skylight, lightly apply some automobile polish or wax on a non-abrasive cloth. This can help to conceal scratches in the plastic.
- If you’re cleaning glass lenses, make sure to only use a low-potency ammonia solution.
- Clean the exterior flashing of your skylight. Clear debris that could puncture plexiglass or fracture glass.
- Inspect your skylight sealant to make sure that it’s still holding properly.
- To perform skylight frame care for a wooden frame, inspect your skylight frame for peeling, cracking, or fading. Make sure to paint it with anti-corrosive paint.
- If your skylight fixture is made out of plastic, make sure to only clean it with a mild soap, as these plastic components are very sensitive to corrosives.
- Make sure all fasteners are secure.
- Ensure that all cladding and flashing are in decent shape.
Need Skylight Replacement or Repair?
If you’ve found your skylights are in bad shape, or you’d like to have them inspected just to be safe, don’t hesitate to reach out to NIR Roof Care, Inc. for help. Our phone number is 1 (800) 221-7663, and we offer free quotes! Have other questions? Be sure to explore our commercial roofing FAQs for dozens of blogs on how to maintain the roof of your business, including our extensive overview of everything you could ever want to know about skylight issues, components, and jargon!